Dill can be used in many occasions as a fresh herb, well did you know that you can freeze dill in ice cube trays?, well, this can be easily done, and with only simple steps, you only need to clean it, then chop it into small pieces, put it in the ice cube trays, after that put it in the freezer and well done, your herb are frozen to use it later.
Not satisfied enough?, let me explain further in more details to help you freeze your dill in ice cube with simple steps, and also what you may face while doing that, and also tips on how to get the most from your herb, without any further delay, let’s get to the point like usual.
You will find in this article:
Table of Contents
1 how to freeze dill in ice cube trays step-by-step guide:
if you are willing to freeze dill in ice cube trays, this is considered a great way to preserve your herb to use it later, in the meanwhile, you can do this process by following these simple and easy steps:
- once you have your herbs in your hand, it is time to clean them, which require putting them under the tap under running cool water, it is also recommended to put away all the herbs that are either yellow/brown or wilted, to make sure you have only healthy dills to freeze.
- after the cleaning and choosing part, it is time to chop and cut your herbs into small shreds, which require from your behalf to use the knife to cut the leaves and stems into 1-3 inches pieces, ensure you have cut them all.
- after the cutting part, here this is optional part for you, for me what i like to do personally is mixing my herbs with a small mix of spices, which will add some significant flavor when re-using, take into account that you don’t have to do this as a necessary part, just shared with you what I do.
- grab the herbs cuttings and put in each cube in ice trays small amount from them, ensure to distribute them equally in all cubes.
- after the division part, it is time to add water until you fill the cubes in the ice trays, once you’re done that put them in the freeze and let them be.
- when your dills are frozen in the ice cube trays, it is time to get them out, after that you should put the frozen cubes in the plastic bags.
- now you can put the frozen cubes in the freezer as long as you need to.
2 what is the best temperature to freeze dill in ice cube trays:
when it comes to the best temperature to freeze dill in ice cube trays, you should know that most freezers are already set to 0° C (32° Fahrenheit), which is considered perfect that will protect your herbs from the harmful bacteria, and also while the water freeze in this temperature, it will preserve your herbs in most healthy and good way.
You must take into account that when you freeze your herb in ice cube trays, you should let it freeze for 1 night only, after that you put them in zip bags like we explained in the previous part.
3 how long will last the frozen dill in ice cube trays:
when you do the freezing process with the previous steps, and also keep a good preserving conditions, your frozen dill in ice cube trays will last up to six months without any damage to the flavor, which is considered very handful amount of time when it comes to preserving and keeping multiple herbs.
In addition, you should avoid any exceed for the time mentioned earlier, this is to ensure that you have only healthy herbs when you want to re-use them in your meals.
4 why you should freeze dill in ice cube trays:
there are a lot of uses when you want to use the frozen dill from ice cube trays, the main good reason is the easiest usage in meals, what you have only to do, is bringing the cube/cubes as much as you need, and put them in the soup directly when preparing, no cleaning, no chopping, no nothing, just put them in there and that is about it, easy and simple.
The other good thing is about the time of saving, which is considered a good one, especially if you don’t have fresh herbs, and you are in lack of flavor taste, and this is why you need to consider saving your herb for future use.
in summary, freezing dill in ice cube trays can be done, you can do that by following this: clean your herb, cut it, put it in ice cube trays, add water, freeze it, and that’s about it, your frozen dill in ice cube trays can last up to 6 months when the conditions are perfect.
Furthermore, if you want to get the most with your herb, you should consider grow it instead, more fresh herbs and less buying from the store, as it is joyful and easy journey to do, like we said always, opinions and suggestions are welcome.